STEM Schools of Distinction
The STEM Schools of Distinction program was developed to identify and recognize exemplary STEM schools and STEM programs. The application process rubric is built around NCDPI’s STEM Attributes, which describe characteristics of a high-quality STEM school.
Schools are recognized as meeting the Prepared or Model Level of Achievement. Regardless of status, schools exemplify outstanding leadership and learning, which empower keen creative thinking, reasoning and teamwork – the underpinnings of 21st century skills. Schools recognized under Model Level of Achievement go even further by systemically interweaving science, technology, engineering and mathematics into complementary coursework in the arts, career and technical education, English language arts, healthful living and world history.
The following were recognized as 2017 STEM Schools of Distinction…
This school received “Model Future-Ready” STEM High School:
Schools selected for “Prepared Level” include:
- Davie County High School STEM Center, Davie County Schools
- Hendersonville Elementary, Henderson County Public Schools
- JW York Elementary School, Wake County Public Schools
- Nesbitt Discovery Academy, Buncombe County Schools
Schools selected for “Model Level of Achievement” include:
- Central Cabarrus High School STEM Magnet Program, Cabarrus County Schools
- Coltrane-Webb STEM Elementary School, Cabarrus County Schools
- Hilburn Academy K-8, Wake County Public Schools
- Patriots STEM Elementary School, Cabarrus County Schools
- Weatherstone Elementary, Wake County Public Schools
To receive this honor, schools designated as STEM Schools of Distinction are rooted in a culture where creativity and inquiry exists between and among students, teachers, administrators and community members with an emphasis on engaging students in a way of innovation and problem solving to seek solutions, and collaborative teamwork. Additionally, schools have established a network of community relationships and strategies that foster purposeful connections between student studies and the world outside their classroom.
In addition to being honored by the State Board of Education, schools are recognized on NCDPI’s STEM web page and the NC STEM Center portal. Schools also will receive a specially-designed STEM School of Distinction banner provided by the North Carolina SMT Center.
For more on the NCDPI STEM Recognition Program, please visit NCDPI’s STEM web page.
For previously recognized schools, view the STEM Schools of Distinction Archive page.